THE FRACTIONAL CAO
McKinsey recently purported that “the analytics translator is the new must-have role.”1 TMA would argue that the analytics practice lead has always been the ‘must have role’ — with effective translation as one of many byproducts.
Few organizations possess a true analytic lead. As the translator function suggests, the analytic lead must possess adequate skill and experience in both tactical and strategic aspects as well as the ability to synchronize top-down and bottom-up approaches.
It is extremely rare to acquire talent that holds general analytic literacy along with true social capability, leadership traits and strategic vision. Organizations that elevate their best data scientists find that they quickly get pulled back into project minutia. And few executives have enough grounding in analytics and machine learning to command effectively.
Even if an organization were to find an analytic leader unicorn, they may not have enough resources and buy-in to occupy such an expensive professional for the first year or beyond. This will likely result in an overspend and underutilization of the position. It’s likely that this in-demand professional will quickly restart their job search.
TMA has attracted a rare stable of battle-tested mid-career active consultants. Its unique staff runs from a standardized framework and service products. This allows TMA clients to tap a breadth of experience, have the assurance of redundancy along with well-defined services that have fixed pricing, deliverables and timeframes.
Most of all, TMA’s clients can acquire and right-size an otherwise nearly impossible role to fill and maintain it until the organization and drive forward independently. This engagement model is highly efficient because the time required to assess, plan and oversee the initial build of an analytic practice is indeed fractional and not continuous.
HOW TO USE THE
- Measuring organizational analytic maturity and readiness
- Strategic sound boarding, planning and roundtable moderation
- Executive ad-hoc micro-training for to advance analytic literacy
- Translating data science deliverables for executive consumption
- Guidance in staffing roles for a benefits-oriented analytics practice
- Developing analytic project RFPs and evaluating bidder responses
- Managing and overseeing analytics vendor relationships
- Conducting objective vendor and tool evaluations and vetting
- Accurately defining realistic analytics job position descriptions
- Any other strategic analytic oversight issues that benefit from the experience of a seasoned analytics leader.
The Fractional CAO is a low-threshold entry to high-end talent in a practice area that holds the most to gain. Start turning your analytic cost center into a scalable benefit-generator with an seasoned advisor who’s seen it all. Extend hours as TMA’s senior consultant’s effort and results justify.
You’re unlikely to encounter a stronger value proposition for any organizational endeavor. The Factional CAO is intended for the organization that is intentional about leading with data. TMA’s focus is on guiding your organization to break out with analytics and establish your team as partners in a powerful story of real transformation.