THE PREDICTIVE ANALYTICS OPERATION
Opportunity Identification and a Roadmap
for Low-Risk / High-Impact Projects
DESIGN FOR ACTIONABLE IMPLEMENTATION
This one-of-a-kind course focuses on the most chronic failings of the vast majority of advanced analytics implementations: comprehensive project assessment, design and planning. The analytic professionals who apply the strategic principles in this course will obtain the rare analytic leadership skills to overcome their organization’s ongoing analytic challenges and stand out in this competitive practice.
This vendor-neutral course is designed to be taken independently, yet is part of a larger course series that covers The Modeling Agency’s Modeling Practice Framework™ for low-risk, high-impact projects (see illustration). The scope of this course extends to the first two phases: Assess and Plan.
If you are looking for an intensive vendor-neutral strategic orientation to predictive analytics that is critical to overall project and operational success, then this course is for you.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- IT EXECUTIVES AND BIG DATA DIRECTORS: CIOs, CAOs, CTOs, Stakeholders, Functional Officers, Technical Directors and Project Managers who desire to extract and apply the true value hidden within their deluge of data
- LINE-OF-BUSINESS EXECUTIVES AND FUNCTIONAL MANAGERS: Risk Managers, CRM Managers, Public Sector Directors, Business Forecasters, Inventory Flow Analysts, Financial Forecasters, Medical Diagnostic Analysts, Fraud and Loss Prevention Managers, eCommerce Company Executives
- DATA SCIENTISTS: Who recognize the importance of complementing their tactical proficiency with a strategic planning and design approach to advanced analytics
- TECHNOLOGY PLANNERS Who survey emerging technologies in order to prioritize corporate investment
- CONSULTANTS Whose competitive environment is intensifying and whose success requires competency with data mining and related emerging information technologies
KEY SKILLS YOU’LL TAKE AWAY IMMEDIATELY
- Plan and manage your predictive modeling projects effectively from the start
- Identify, qualify and prioritize actionable analytic opportunities
- Understand the purpose, function and impact of an analytic process model
- Outline the implementation tasks of the Assess and Plan Phases of the Modeling Practice Framework
- Define a project roadmap with modeling objectives that lead to measurable project gains
- Qualify the downstream organizational and environmental requirements for model deployment and operation
- Recognize dead-end approaches in advance that lead to wasted resources on doomed approaches
- Broaden experience through active problem-solving and guided discussion in realistic project scenarios
- Certify data resources and plan for an efficient analytic sandbox
- Engage with confidence among your developers, analysts and consultants
- Develop the rare analytic leadership traits to design and oversee actionable analytics projects
- Leave with resources, contacts and plans to substantially reduce your project preparation time, costs and risks
THE ORGANIZATIONAL CHALLENGE FOR ANALYTICS
Industry surveys underscore that most advanced analytics projects fail or fall short of their objectives. Project failure is almost never due to a model’s inability to uncover new insights or find patterns in data. By investing more heavily in tool and algorithm training, most organizations are working on the wrong end of the problem. Instead of preparing a goal-driven plan and tailored project design, they are leading with a technology focus. Most of today’s data scientists are skilled with trees, but lost in the forest.
And it’s not the fault of today’s practitioners. Commercial and academic courseware maintains a focus on analytic methods, software and tactics. They focus on optimizing for technical metrics as opposed to goal-driven performance. Most analytic professionals launch directly into data and software before assessing strategic issues that cause otherwise valid models to die on the vine at implementation time.
Beyond lecture and demonstration, this course will actively lead you through structured and comprehensive analytic project design exercises that you can take home and apply. Those who stay for the full series will reference the completed design as the blueprints for full strategic implementation.
WHAT MAKES THIS COURSE UNIQUE
The developers of this course have been actively involved with the design, implementation and deployment of real-world predictive modeling solutions. Their clients have been richly rewarded by recognizing doomed projects in advance and deriving real value from successful deployments.
There simply is no other vendor-neutral event in the marketplace that focuses exclusively on analytic project assessment, planning and design – let alone integrating seamlessly into an overarching series for end-to-end process implementation. The skills learned in this course are highly valued in the market.
Note that this course does not drill into specific algorithms or tactical implementation topics. For a deeper presentation of modeling methods, algorithms and techniques, refer to the Development course which directly follows this event. To step through all phases of the Modeling Practice Framework™, view the Comprehensive Experience course description.
While this course is designed to be taken independently, it is important to understand its place and function within the overall ‘The Predictive Analytics Operation’ Course Series.
Registrants will be required to view a three-hour asynchronous “Core Concepts” orientation prior to attending this event. Access details for the Core Concepts prerequisite will be shared with participants prior to the start of the course. Prior education or experience in data analytics or statistics is helpful, but not required.
- Prerequisite Three-Hour Preparatory Orientation
- View the full Core Concepts Topic Outline
- Big Data Analytics
- Predictive Analytics
- Data Science
- Business Intelligence
- Data Analysis
- Machine Learning
- Applied Statistics
- Prescriptive Analytics
- Predictive Modeling
- Internet of Things ( IoT )
- The Current Landscape of Analytics Software
- Assemble Team
- Leadership, Analysts, Subject Experts, Data Support, Stakeholders, etc
- Determine Whether External Talent is Needed
- Examine Culture & Mindset
- List Candidate Projects
- Place Projects on a Benefits / Challenges Quadrant Plot
- Guided Discussion Breakout Session
- Define Performance Benchmarks
- Identify Data Sources
- Itemize Existing Analytic Resources
- Describe Operational Environments
- Initial Report of Overall Practice Readiness
- What Should an Assess Phase Report Contain?
- Exercise Breakout Session
- Pull & Recon Data
- Explore Data & Verify Quality
- Do We Have Enough Data?
- Which Data are Relevant?
- Make a First Look at Data Quality
- Exercise Breakout Session
- Design Analytic Sandbox
- Qualify Team
- Qualify Tools
- Define Operational Environment(s)
- Establish Performance Benchmarks & Targets
- What are the current metrics (KPIs)?
- What is the Role of Technical Metrics vs. KPIs?
- Benchmark Demonstration
- Consider Deployment Options
- Prioritize Viable Projects
- Supplementary Materials and Resources
- Conferences and Communities
- Get Started on a Project!
- Options for Implementation Oversight and Collaborative Development
The Modeling Agency, LLC, is registered with INFORMS (the INstitute For Operations Research and the Management Sciences) as a Recognized Analytics Continuing Educational Provider for the CAP® (Certified Analytics Professional) program. The CAP® credential provides analytics professionals with a means to distinguish themselves and demonstrate to employers, colleagues, and the public that they are knowledgeable analytics professionals. Courses provided by The Modeling Agency, LLC, are automatically accepted by INFORMS when claimed by credential holders as evidence of continuing education. For more information about the CAP® program, including requirements, eligibility, benefits, preparation, and exam dates, please visit the INFORMS website at www.informs.org/certification.
Sign Up Early and Save
Predictive Analytics Webinar
Learn How to Get
Predictive Modeling Off
the Ground and Into Orbit
4pm EDT / 1pm PDT
Why Train With TMA?
“A few months ago, I attended Prediction Impact’s data mining course. It provided a good orientation to predictive analytics. But I wanted to learn how to really apply data mining at the project level. TMA’s course series provided the comprehensive and pragmatic approach I was truly seeking that will allow me to dive confidently and properly into the practice.”
Aspiring Data Mining Practitioner
“When the only complaint is that the course could be longer, I think you’ve got an excellent class! I very much enjoyed the instructor’s use of a real data set to demonstrate principles taught throughout the entire class. The instructor went out of his way both before and during the class to help me to translate the class material to my own work.”
Biological Technologies Analysis Solutions
“The instructor’s presentation was quite thoughtful and very well organized. I came away with a solid map for the ever changing data mining landscape.”
“Statisticians and Analysts alike can benefit from this Data Mining course. It is interesting to view the business objective from the other side of the coin. Exploratory Data Analysis in Data Mining is fun because the causality constraint of classical Statistics is relaxed. Take this course and open up to another way of dealing with large data sets.”
Wage and Investment Research
Internal Revenue Service
“If you want a thorough introduction to predictive analytics at the project level with a wealth of real world experience solving problems, then Tony’s your guy.”
Professor of Marketing
Ferris State University
“A great experience. I would recommend this course for anyone interested in Predictive Analytics.”
Analyst, Customer Insights
Giant Food Stores
“This class, by far, is the most interesting, motivating and applicable class I have taken in a very long time. Tony provides a refreshingly different perspective on predictive modeling and approach methodology. Not only would I absolutely recommend this course to any colleague or anyone interested in the practical, yet powerful insights into predictive modeling, but I may look into additional learning and or professional services opportunities. I can’t wait to get back to work and jump right into applying the concepts and learnings.”
“The class was great! I was really impressed with the instructor’s knowledge, experience, and ability. He was able to answer everyone’s questions thoroughly and tailor the class to individual needs. I learned so much about the data mining process, the different methods, and available tools. I highly recommend this course to both technical and non-technical people interested in leading-edge data mining methodologies and the application of current data mining software to marketing, business, and research endeavors.”
“This course will fully help you understand what is really important for increasing performance from your data by introducing key concepts that are not taught in any business schools.”
Operations Research Analyst
Federal Aviation Administration
“Attending The Modeling Agency’s series was a tremendously rewarding experience, helping me to ‘de-mystify data mining’ and interface with exceptionally intelligent people who live in the data mining world.”
Apparel, Merchandising, and Textiles
Washington State University